Table of Contents
Here is why compression therapy is good for you
Compression therapy is a form of medical treatment that uses pressure and increased blood flow to alleviate multiple medical and health conditions. In this line of treatment, specialized socks and stockings are used to improve the flow and circulation of blood in the legs. These socks are worn during the night and removed during the morning. Due to the improved blood circulation, blood does not accumulate in any part of the legs and continues circulating at the optimal rate.
This prevents swelling and pain. Enhanced blood circulation is the basic purpose of compression therapy. However, there are multiple other benefits and uses of it as well. Let us take a look at them in detail.
Sports and Gymnastics Performance is Improved
- Athletes have long relied on compression therapy for improved blood flow which results in better performance. Compression therapy also results in faster healing of wounds and effective pain management. Hence, many athletes have included compression therapy in their workouts.
Prevents Poor Circulation on Long Flights
- During flights, the passengers have to sit in the same position for long hours. As a result, blood circulation is reduced which can result in swelling and aches. In extreme cases, blood clots and deep vein thrombosis can occur due to poor blood circulation. Compression garments can alleviate these conditions and result in improved blood circulation during flights.
Ensures Healthy Posture During Pregnancy
- Compression therapy is beneficial for maintaining a good posture and ensuring optimal blood flow for pregnant women. Due to the added weight of pregnancy especially during the later months, women suffer from poor posture, irregular blood circulation, and back pain. Compression stockings can help maintain optimal blood flow and improve the posture of pregnant women.
Keeps The Blood Flowing During Long-Standing Hours
- Different professionals such as salesmen, teachers, and nurses have to stand on their toes for longer hours as that’s what their job demands. Standing in the same position for long hours can result in poor blood circulation and cause swelling and pain. Compression stockings are a must for all such people. They can reduce pain and swell significantly.
Reduces The Appearance of Bulging Veins and Treats Varicose Veins
- One prominent sign of poor blood circulation is the appearance of bulging veins in the legs. When there are frequent irregularities in the blood pressure, the veins in the legs tend to twist and swell. It reduces the passage of the veins and the blood has difficulty getting back to the heart. As a result, the blood starts to pool in the veins. The veins become heavy with the load of the blood and start to bulge out.
The veins in the legs have unidirectional valves which let blood flow in a single direction only i.e. back to the heart. If the valves become dysfunctional, the blood accumulates in the veins. This condition is known as varicose veins. In extreme cases, the build-up of blood can cause an open sore in the veins which is known as a venous ulcer. The legs swell and shooting pains are felt by the patient.
- Compression therapy can help relieve these conditions and result in an optimal flow of blood.
In this article, we have covered the major uses and benefits of compression therapy. If you suffer from poor blood circulation, then give compression therapy a try. You will be surprised by its effectiveness. At UCryo & Recovery, we administer compression therapy for patients belonging to all age groups. Call us at 940-218-4016. We operate in Bartonville, Texas.