Table of Contents
Top therapist near you reveal 5 benefits of oxygen therapy
The human body requires optimum levels of oxygen for carrying out normal body functions. We derive oxygen from the atmosphere from where it goes to the lungs and enters the bloodstream. Carbohydrates react with oxygen and energy is released which is necessary for sustaining the body. People with pulmonary disorders cannot breathe properly and don’t get the requisite amount of oxygen needed by the body. As a result, they suffer from the following medical conditions:
To provide relief from these conditions, some people need supplemental oxygen. This is known as oxygen therapy. It involves the supply of oxygen to the body through tubes that either go to the nose or the trachea and through a face mask. Through this treatment, additional oxygen is supplied to the body which compensates for the low levels of oxygen.
Oxygen therapy is beneficial for children and adults who suffer from lung conditions. Let us discuss the multiple benefits of this treatment in detail.
Benefits of Oxygen Therapy
- Oxygen therapy adds a couple of years to the life of people suffering from pulmonary diseases such as COPD and resting hypoxemia. Hypoxemia is a condition characterized by extremely low levels of oxygen in the blood. Oxygen therapy improves both the quantity and quality of life.
Helps Deal with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
COPD is characterized by lung inflammation. This reduces the lung’s functional capacity drastically and normal levels of oxygen cannot be maintained. COPD leads to several complications such as:
- Shortness of breath (dyspnea)
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Heart failure (cor pulmonale)
Supplying the body with additional oxygen through oxygen therapy can help relieve these painful symptoms to a major extent.
Builds Tolerance and Capacity for Exercise
- Exercise and strenuous physical activity require a rapid supply of oxygen to meet the increased demand for energy. People who have breathing issues are unable to perform moderate to severe exercises. Supplemental oxygen increases their tolerance and capacity for performing prolonged sessions of exercise. When the oxygen levels are optimal, breathlessness and wheezing during exercise are reduced.
Enhances Quality of Life
People with breathing issues cannot enjoy life to the fullest and have reduced levels of productivity. They suffer from brain fog, fatigue, and depression. This reduces their quality of life. With additional oxygen being supplied to their brains, they have better mood regulation and feel physically fit. Oxygen therapy increases their stamina and makes them mentally alert and sharp.
- Portable oxygen concentrators give patients the freedom to go anywhere and engage in all activities. Interacting with other people and enjoying life, in general, gives an overall sense of wellness to the patients.
An increased supply of oxygen can help resolve issues like erectile dysfunction and vaginal dryness. When optimal levels of oxygen are maintained throughout the body, it makes sex more enjoyable and allows partners to experience greater intimacy.
Safer Air Travel
- Due to the reduced supply of oxygen, COPD conditions are exacerbated when patients with breathing problems travel through the air. Oxygen level in the blood is reduced which leads to complications like coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath.
Portable oxygen concentrators can help ease out these symptoms and make air travel a much safer and comfortable experience.
- This information has been brought to you by UCryo & Recovery. Their experts are skilled in providing oxygen therapy treatment.