Learn 5 basic causes of muscle pain and what the right treatment is
Almost everyone has experienced muscle pain in their lives at one time or another. Muscle pain or myalgia is a common condition and it has several causes. It is important to identify the causes of muscle pain so that appropriate treatment can be started. This article provides science-based information on some of the most common causes of muscle pain.
Exercise And Physical Activity
- During prolonged and strenuous exercises, the buildup of lactic acid can result in acute muscle soreness. When muscles work more than they are accustomed to, they become stiff and painful. However, muscle pain after exercise and activity is normal and often resolves quickly with rest and a balanced diet
Stress And Anxiety
- During episodes of stress and anxiety, muscles tense up as a reflex reaction to stress. Prolonged periods of stress can lead to chronic muscle pain. This pain is usually localized in the neck, shoulders, and back. If left untreated it can lead to joint pain or stress-related migraine headaches.
Stress-related muscle pain can be reduced by home remedies such as gentle stretching, exercise, meditation, and other relaxation techniques. Getting more sleep can also help alleviate muscle pain.
Injuries To Muscles
- Muscles can tear as a result of overextension resulting in muscle strain. If the tears are microscopic the muscle injuries can resolve in a few days. However partial or complete tear of the entire muscle causes more serious injuries. The resulting pain is debilitating and requires immediate treatment.
When joints and soft tissues are injured or when a bone is fractured, the muscles around the area swell. This is a defense mechanism of the body that could result in muscle soreness and spasms.
- Approximately 4 million adults in the US suffer from fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is a condition that causes widespread pain, sleep disorders, fatigue, and distress. People who suffer from fibromyalgia experience various muscle-related issues such as muscle pain all over the body, muscle stiffness, tingling, and numbness in the body.
Pain occurs in several areas of the body thereby affecting the ability of the patient to carry out normal activities of life. Medications, exercise, stress management, and adequate sleep can reduce the underlying symptoms.
- Myositis is a muscle-related condition caused by inflammation of muscle cells. This type of muscle pain occurs as a side effect of various medications and therapies. Chemotherapy and radiation therapy are commonly associated with myositis.
Medicines that regulate blood pressure such as ACE inhibitors and statins used for lowering blood cholesterol can also cause muscle aches.
Treatment Of Muscle Pain
- There are several ways to treat muscle pain including over-the-counter medications, physical activity, stress management, anti-inflammatory agents, etc. However, if at-home measures are not effective opt for advanced treatment approaches such as:
Aspen Laser Therapy
- It is a clinically proven, non-invasive, and pain-free treatment used for the management of chronic pain and inflammation. It takes only a few minutes of each drug-free session to restore your normal life.
Faster results can be achieved without the risks and side effects associated with conventional treatments. The mechanism on which aspen laser therapy works is photobiomodulation therapy.
- In photobiomodulation therapy fully calibrated infrared light waves are used for stimulating tissue repair and regeneration. The profound effects of photobiomodulation therapy in the treatment of various conditions are backed up by scientific evidence.
Aspen Laser Therapy provides relief from chronic muscle pain and enhances immune response. Book your appointment at 940-218-4016 and enjoy a pain-free life. UCryo & Recovery is located in Bartonville, Texas.