Table of Contents
Explore the world of compounded Semaglutide – Safe and powerful weight loss
Semaglutide is an FDA-approved drug that is used for treating chronic obesity and promotes healthy weight loss. In 2021, after rigorous testing to determine its safety and effectiveness, the FDA approved its use for treating obesity and excessive weight gain. In the USA, obesity is increasing at an alarming rate, and many Americans opted for Semaglutide despite its high treatment cost and prolonged use.
Increased demand caused an indefinite shortage of medicine. Sensing the desperation of the people, many pharmaceutical companies came up with a compounded version of semaglutide. What is compounded semaglutide? Is it effective and safe for use? This article will answer your queries.
What is Compounded Semaglutide?
- Compounding is a chemical process used to create new medicines by combining, mixing, or changing the ingredients of two or more drugs. Compounding is a common practice in the pharmaceutical industry. In most cases, drugs are compounded to create a new drug that is free of certain allergens. Compounding is also performed to manufacture a liquid medicine that is usually available as a tablet only.
The pharmaceutical industry resorts to compounding whenever there is a shortage of a certain drug. Hence, compounding is generally a useful practice that benefits the customers. Compounded drugs are usually safe to use, but they are not approved and regulated by the FDA, so they carry some risk.
What Led to An Increased Demand for Compounded Semaglutide?
Two major factors have led to the manufacture of compounded Semaglutide:
- The medical coverage for semaglutide is vague. Insurance companies sometimes cover the treatment cost for Semaglutide, but it varies with each case. The treatment cost of Wegovy is around $1300 per month, which is quite difficult to manage without insurance coverage. In comparison, the compounded version is quite cheap, so there is a rising demand for compounded semaglutide.
- The other reason is a general shortage of the medicine. Pharmaceutical companies are unable to meet the increasing demand for the medicine, so many people now opt for the alternative compounded version.
Safety, Effectiveness, and Legality of Compounded Semaglutide
- According to the American Pharmacists Association (APhA), over 7,500 licensed pharmacies manufacture compounded medicines in the USA. Manufacturing compounded versions is legal if there is a shortage of medicine.
In May 2023, the FDA listed Ozempic and Wegovy as being scarce. So, to meet the demand, many compounding pharmacies jumped into action, and soon, the market was flooded with cheap knockoff versions of Semaglutide.
- However, Novo Nordisk, the pharmaceutical giant that manufactures semaglutide, has clearly stated that it does not sell its patented semaglutide for compounding purposes, raising questions about the safety and effectiveness of compounded semaglutide. Novo Nordisk is the only company with the medical clearance to manufacture Semaglutide.
In June 2023, Novo Nordisk claimed to take legal action against companies selling compounded versions of Semaglutide. Novo Nordisk does not recognize the generic or compounded versions of semaglutide as being authentic, effective, and safe for consumption.
- The FDA has also issued a warning against the use of compounded semaglutide. Several clinical trials have been conducted to determine the safety and effectiveness of compounded semaglutide. The results indicate that consumption of compounded semaglutide can have adverse health impacts.
In summary, the safety and effectiveness of compounded semaglutide have not been established; therefore, you should avoid it at all costs. There are several other safe and effective ways of losing weight.
If you’re struggling with excess fat, areas of stubborn fat & cellulite, contact UCryo & Recovery. We offer Cryo Sculpting, cryotherapy, IV therapy, and other services at discounted rates. For more information about the process or customized treatment plans, call us at (940) 218 -4016. We are located in Bartonville, Texas.